Fall Home Maintenance Checklist
Fall is just around the corner. It is time to get your house in shape for the cooler months ahead. Here are some home maintenance ideas that will keep your home running in peak condition all winter long.
- You will want to check foundation for cracks and caulk such as where pipes or wires enter the house. Ensuring that you check the outside structure combined will save you money, and damages, in the long run.
- Make sure you have storm windows and doors and remove screens.
- Inspect exterior walls to see if any paint is peeling or blistering on the house or outbuildings. Peeling paint is a sign that the existing paint film is failing. If this is not treated, the siding itself will deteriorate, which leads to expensive repairs.
- Make sure the roof is in good shape, but also inspect for missing and loose shingles. If not taken care of, damage can happen with deterioration to insulation, wood and drywall.
- Proper sealing and insulation can save up to 20% on costs. Air from windows and doors are easy to find, make sure to apply weather stripping and caulk to areas that have air venting issues.
- Get your woodstove and fireplace in working order. Gary Webster, Creative Director of Travis Industries, suggests that you examine your wood stove or fireplace insert’s door gasket for a tight seal. Also clean and inspect the glass door for cracks and have the chimney cleaned by a licensed chimney sweep. “A clogged chimney poses the risk of a chimney fire, which can be ignited by burning creosote—a combination of wood tar, organic vapors and moisture buildup,” says Webster.
- Change the direction of your ceiling fan to create an upward draft that redistributes warm air from the ceiling.
- Check basement windows for drafts, loose frames or cracked panes.
- Vacuum internal parts of air conditioners. Remove units from windows or wrap outside box with an approved tarp or plastic air conditioner cover in order to prevent rusting of vital parts.
- Clean your humidifiers regularly during the heating season. Bacteria and spores can develop in a dirty water tank resulting in unclean moisture misting out into your ro
SERVPRO of Framingham is your premier choice for restoration and rebuild. Our teams are ready to respond 24 hours a week, any day of the year. When you bring us on the job our team of licensed contractors and certified technicians will work collaboratively with you throughout the duration of the project. They will keep you up to date on the status of the project and make sure that your expectations are met. We will help you to move forward and make it “Like it never even happened” for all of your storm damage.